Monday, September 22, 2008

Protecting Blinds And A Small Victory

A small victory this morning... on our way to the office we pass a religious nut of some sort (we think a Hari Krisna but could be wrong), anyway a very persistant one! He hassled us with leaflets so often that it got to me - so a plan was hatched.

Next time he hassled us I gave him what could be called a right earful in my angriest manner (was acting if you like as it was pre-meditated rather than any real spontaneous anger).

So, did not see him for a week... this morning we approach him - he gets his leaflets ready... then sees who it is and (get this) walks on by refusing to make any eye contact (I was ready to grin!). A victory to my mind anyway.

Actually reminds me of when I worked in IBM, in order to get to some huge target for a certain area of electronic trading it was my role to 'approve' any exceptions to a process (will not bore you with the details). Thinking about it I was ideal for this role, which involved saying 'no' to some very senior people... so every day people used to 'escalate me' (report me to increasingly senior management for refusing to approve their exceptions)... and every day I would make life as difficult as possible for the people involved.

Now, this sounds like anti-corporate behaviour - but it was not. In fact I was very loyal to the company (most of us got brainwashed that way!!). My idea was that making life difficult for my colleagues internally made them think twice next time an approval was required... instead of 'no problem we'll get Mark to approve an exception'... the mindset changed to 'sh1t, Mark will never approve this one - better get the external supplier to send electronically instead'. What I did be being deliberately difficult was to get my internal colleages to do my job - which was to make the suppliers tow the 'e-business only' line...

Anyway, those days are gone for me (and that feels good!). The reason for sharing was to get you thinking about blind defense... after all there is a balance between always giving up those blinds and always fighting back.

- In cash games those blinds are such a small portion of your stack that defending them for its own sake is hardly worth it... yet cumulatively they add up so you have to defend some time.

- In SNGs this is risky, since the chips you lose when it does not work can be critical to your fold-equity later in the game, here it can even pay to let the SB complete a few times at the lower levels and then shove over his completes once the blinds become high (not too often, you'll end up getting trapped!)

- MTTs are the sweet spot for this kind of pre-emptive difficulty... especially when this does not involve too many chips (the old call then check behind the turn routine). Getting a reputation for being a difficult blind to steal can not do any harm... this will give you the advantage of knowing that any LP raises are more likely to be geniune hands. Something to think about at least.

GL at the tables, Mark

No comments: