Monday, June 16, 2008

Back In The Office

Been a hectic few days, had my father visiting us here in Budapest which was great - now back in the office with a list of things to do longer than ever!

Have myself a copy of 'The Black Swan' by Nassim Taleb, only just started it and already hooked. For those who do not know this is an economics + political / social commentary about the difference between our perception of historical events and how they actually happen. Going beyond the usual psychological 'weighting' of closer events into a theory of how 'unknown unknowns' actually shape history in great leaps - while we sit assuming that things somehow gradually 'evolve' or 'progress'. If there is not plenty of scope for reflection with poker by the end of the book I'll personally eat my hat. He does seem a little down on Plato too... which leaves me plently of extra room for future arguments - debating the fantastic ideas of Plato being one of life's pleasures for me (yeah, they were f*cked up ideas for sure - but what fantastic f*cked up ideas!! And all those years ago too!!)

Eating, drinking (yep, a bottle of 12 year-old Irish Malt as well as many many beers) and tourist attractions including the fantastic view from a medieval castle at Visegrad on the Slovak border, and soaking in Thermal baths have been the order of the days - rather than anything poker related. If I get through my busy schedule today then a little dabble at the tables could well be the order of the evening!

GL at those tables, Mark

No comments: