Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thoughts on Multi-Tabling

Wow, been so busy writing lately that I've not had time to, erm, write.

Had a thought on multi-tabling to share today. For a long time (before having the time got in the way!) I played sit n goes... guess regular readers might have noticed since half the posts here are on the subject.

Playing at the lower end of the buy-ins, $16s and $27s for a bit, the way to maximise hourly take was to learn the 'pushbot' game and to multi-table. Experimented with many ways of multi-tabling (tiled / cascaded / sets / continuous variations etc) and various numbers of tables - up to 12 at once. Decided finally that sets / tiled and 6 tables was for me and settled into that.

With my business ventures and freelance writing now taking most of my time it can be difficult to find the right time to grind those SNGs - so instead I set aside one or two evenings a week and play a few multi's and some satellites at the weekend (just won $530 T$ this morning in fact!!).

Now here is the thought, being used to multi-tabling from the SNG days (sure they will return soon enough!) I set up 4 or 6 MTTs at once. This is simply not +ev for me.

The great thing about SNGs is that they can be played pretty much 'mechanically', you do not even need to play 'perfectly' at the lower buy-ins, just better than your opponents! It may sound obvious here but this is not the case with MTTs at all, you need to be watching your opponents - noting their betting and assigning them ranges for raises and calling re-raises. You need to know who will call with A10o because they think it is a premium hand, and conversely who is happily folding waiting for those aces!

Well, I do not profess to be the worlds best MTT player (did make another final table earlier in the week but busted out in 8th after someone was selfish enough to wake up with aces against my 8's...). Thinking about the game gives an edge against the 'average joe' (who, incidentally we know is 95% likely to be break-even at best and 70% likely to be a loser!!). Really feel that I have been giving up a good proportion of my edge in these games by playing too many tables... time to cut down - to stop thinking of myself as a 'multi-tabler' and acknowledge that I am a 'SNG multi-tabler' who likes to play other forms of the game!

GL at those (multi) tables, Mark

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you use Poker Tracker you can multitable better.On PS and FT you can also get to the HH's easily.

Donkraft said...

Good post. I too am a multitabling sng-player, and I also spin up too many MTT's, when I decide to get lucky (but rarely do).

An alternative approach could be to have 1 MTT running, which is your primary area of focus - and then add SNG's (maybe even lower buyins than usual), just to keep you from going stalk-raving mad from boredom.

Mark said...

Cheers - 2 good suggestions.

Did buy pokertracker but never really got going with it... all those numbers all over the place!

Nice idea with the mixure too (and happy to hear I'm not the only one with this issue!!)

Cheers, Mark

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what your saying. I find 3 MTT's is plenty. The early levels I'm fine but as it gets further through I also struggle and miss spots to pick up those valuable blinds that you need to keep not only up, but that precious FE.

I am lately sticking to 2 to start but may add 1 or even 2 more an hour or so in.

Also find unless they start at the same time, you don't get a break which I often need after each hour

Cogs

Anonymous said...

hi m8 nice blog just read something here about t$ ,is this like satelite tokens for mtt,s.and if so and you win entrance to a mtt like sunday million,do the tokens automaticly go towards that tourney or can u use,em on any mtt\stt ? jus

Mark said...

Rings true Cogs - have thus far managed to resist the urge to take my laptop to the toilet with me :o0

Jus, to answer your question: Stars award both T$ and W$ for qualifying for scheduled / satellite events respectively.

The win from earlier was a Sunday Million satellite - what you do is unsubscribe from the million (or whichever tourney you win a place in) and the T$ are credited to your account... these can then be used to enter any tourney or SNG. You can also sell them at anywhere between 85% and 95% of value at many specialized sites... I used to use DMMikkels cash4seat.com but usually prefer to save them for SNGs these days...

Cheers, Mark

Drarr said...

Another thought provoking post.

I guess the differance comes because of the nature of the 2 formats. In SNGs you're main aim is to preserve your chips until you can either chip up in favorable spots mid-game or just use your ICM knowledge at the end game. In MTTs chip accumilation is preferred as the payouts are so far away and the main aim is for a top 3 finish, because this is where the significant money is.

This means that you earlier on in a MTT rather than a SNG, marginal hands that can flop big, such as suited connectors or suited Aces, have more value. However these can lead to flops that may be difficult to play, meaning that reads and observations of opponents tendencies have more use in a MTT. But will you really be faced with too many of these situations at the same time by playing 6-8 MTTs?

The top players use a range of different styles in their MTTs, some are TAG others LAG (some are just bonkers!) but looking at the tracking sites you'll see the majority of them cash about 10% of the time. As the vaste majority of them multi-table my guess is they accept going out early in most of their games, regardless of their style, to go deep in one or two. Where it becomes +EV for them to multi-table is in their ability to close out the one or two they go deep in and finish in a high spot.

Final tabling 1 game out of 8 with similar buyins, will usually mean a profit for the evening.

Mark said...

interesting perspective Drarr. As you probably know I play a very tight early game, to be honest the first hour is not really an issue for me (def agree with limping those small pairs / connectors etc too).

Its the 2nd / 3rd hours that get me when playing too many... oh and the Jack Daniels!

Cheers, Mark