Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Short Stacked PLO Experiment

Supposed to be having a month off of playing poker to stay fresh - however reading Rolf Slothboom's excellent PLO book got me in the mood to give his 'Vienna Strategy' a quick bash.

This is a short-stacking strategy in Pot Limit Omaha and involves deliberately sitting to the right of an over aggressive player. The idea is that you use the aggro players bets to trap dead money into the pot by check-raising with a premium hand or big draw - getting your money in as a 50/50 or better but with the pot offering 2/1 or more.... the idea is that you stay tight at a full ring table.

Tried for an hour last night over on Titan to see how it went... the answer is great! Here are a couple of hands that highlight the strategy:

I'm in for $4 on the 20c/10c table and limp in with 3-4-5-6 (single suited), 5 players see the flop of A-4-6... a decent enough flop for the system. Min bet from an early position player, I call and see a raise from the aggro to my left to $1 or so (can not recall exact bet sizes). 2 callers making the pot something like $4, I have $3.60 left - 2 small pairs and 8 outs twice for the straight for a probable 12 outs twice (could have been a higher straight / higher 2 pair so we will count 10). If I'm right then I'm just under 40% to win the hand here... and assuming aggro and just 1 other player calls my all in then the pot will be offering 3/1... they did and a lovely 2 appears on the turn. Strike 1!

Hand 2 was the 50c/25c table and I'm in for $10. Call a min bet in lateish position with A-K-8-9 double suited... a reasonable hand but not a great one. Flop comes 2 spades giving me the nut flush draw. Small blind bets and 2 callers ahead. bringing the pot up to something like $6, I get most of my money in (the small leftover on the turn would be no problem as anyone still in the pot would have been getting daft odds - I was basically all in on the flop). This time end up with 3 callers! So I now have 4/1 pot-odds on a 2/1 shot.... sure to show a profit over time, especially as the bigger stacks might well bet the turn / river and get a fold from one or more of the others still in the hand.... The flush card came and I dodged anything to fill an opponent - strike 2!

Lost one making the same move with flopped trip 8's vs opponent's flopped trip aces... that was a $4 table so no real damage. Also tried the $1 / 50c table for a while but ended up with the most aggressive player to my right... no good as I was trapped in bad position so gave up after blinding away a few dollars there.

A great little system. Maybe not as much fun as the 'I think - you think that I think' of deep stacked play... but hey.

Back to the s*n^gs shortly!

Gl at the tables, Mark

3 comments:

Peter said...

Nice blog! More people should read it. If you want, you can register your blog www.pokerweblogs.com. It is free and and it automatically updates when you do an update, so visitors of our site can see when you updated your blog. The big advantage is that it will attract much more visitors to your blog.

Peter said...

Nice blog! More people should read it. If you want, you can register your blog www.pokerweblogs.com. It is free and and it automatically updates when you do an update, so visitors of our site can see when you updated your blog. The big advantage is that it will attract much more visitors to your blog.

Peter said...

Nice blog! More people should read it. If you want, you can register your blog www.pokerweblogs.com. It is free and and it automatically updates when you do an update, so visitors of our site can see when you updated your blog. The big advantage is that it will attract much more visitors to your blog.