Monday, December 18, 2006

Review of 2006 - Part #1

Thought it would be a nice idea to have a review of 2006, the lessons I have learned and development as a player... 2006 has been an amazing year in many ways, as we appproach the new year the focus will be shifted forward.... today a backward summary only;

Back in time - Dec 2005.

This time last year I quit my job as Operations Manager at IBM Hungary, it was the last job in a career of 9 years, one that had seen me go from the graduate looking after the telephones(!) through various supply chain re-engineering projects, into the 'outsourcing' arena and eventually to being 'number 2' in an organisation of over 1000 people... I was good at my job, relatively young and had some (as my boss put it) 'serious prospects'.

But I handed back the keys to my beautiful turbo-injection Saab, ditched my suits and my big fat expenses account and quit.... not to play poker - to travel the world.

And what a trip, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Mexico, Honduras, Costa-Rica and Peru. Not in the scope of this blog to talk about the details so just a couple of words - there is a fantastic wealth of cultural / natural and culinary beauty out there... go experience it!

By July we became road weary and headed back to Europe, finding ourselves in Budapest. This is when I took the decision that Poker could be more lucrative than just a passtime and where my focus shifted towards plugging my leaks, learning as much as possible and making some nice $$$ from the tables.

Will go through the lessons learned over the next couple of weeks. I do not intend poker to become my sole source of income, instead putting some of my business experience to good use. There are many projects in the pipeline, some poker-related and others not which, in theory at least should enable me to avoid having to go back to corporate life... we will see!!!

No comments: